Security Actions- How to filter MAC Address?- If you want to control access to the network based on the MAC address, to filter MAC address is the only option. Before going to details about how to filter MAC address, we should know more about it.
MAC address stands for Media access control address. Just like the Internet protocol address, we have the MAC address as a unique identifier. It is assigned to many network interfaces and is used as a network address. It serves as a network address to IEEE 802 network technologies. These network technologies include Ethernet and WiFi. If you configure the feature, you can allow or deny access to the Internet.
Someone with very basic knowledge of networks can skip this filter. Hence, many specialized sites termed it as a low-security filter. If the MAC address is combined with many other and better security protocols, the filter might become more difficult to crack. It can hence improve this aspect.
Do you know how to filter MAC address for your Wi-Fi router? Well, to make you understand better, we will take an example. Let us assume that we have a wireless router of TP-link.
Steps to filter MAC address for a TP link router
1. Open any of the web browser present on your computer. You will find an address bar where we enter the link of websites to visit them.
You can either enter the official website of TP-link or the IP address of your router. The official website for the web browser is http://tplinklogin.net. On the other hand, the default IP address must be either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.
After the webpage is opened, you would require entering the username and password. If you have not changed your username and password, the default will be “admin” for both cases.
2. After you have entered your username and password, you need to go to “IP and MAC binding”. After that, click on “ARP List Page”. The ARP list page will present to you the MAC address of all the devices connected to the router. This way, you can track who all are using your WiFi connection.
3. On the first page after logging in, there will be an option of “wireless”. You need to click on that hyperlink followed by a click on “Wireless MAC filtering page”. After the page is opened, you will find “Add New”. Click on it to allow or deny the access of any MAC address.
4. Type in or paste the MAC address which you want to allow or deny access. It is better to give a description of that item so that you can modify it later. The status box just after the description box must be selected “Enabled”. At the end, you have to click the save button.
5. The last step is about the filtering function. If you want to deny the access of the Mac address, select “deny”. If you want that MAC address to access your Wi-Fi, select “allow”. After selecting any one of them according to your choice, you need to click on Enable button present right after “Wireless MAC Filtering”.
These are the steps you need to follow to filter MAC address. This is used for security actions and to have a better control over your Wi-Fi connection. Hence, you should also definitely try to filter MAC address as per your need.